Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hospitals and Stuff


We just got home from a three hour visit to the Emergency Room. Not the best way to spend the evening. I am not really sure it was helpful, but am hoping that at least it will document what is going on.

I tried tonight to give my son his medication twenty minutes early, telling him he was going to go to bed a little early. He refused to take them, then proceeded to throw things at me, smash every electronic he could find onto the floor, spray air freshener at me, and finally, as I decided to take him to the ER, bit me on the way out the door.

By the time we got there, he was calm, like nothing had happened. Until they took us back to a room - without a TV. (I told the triage nurse that it may be rewarding for him to watch TV, so they chose that room on purpose, and with my blessing.) He actually showed them a little bit of what he can do, although the only thing in the room to throw was a pillow. But, he made good use of it by throwing the pillow and pillowcase separately. If I had requested it, they would have admitted him tonight.

That is scary. On the one hand, I want him to get the help he needs, and I want the violence to stop. On the other, I don't want us to be at the point where hospitalization is the only option. I hope we have not gotten there, and that I made the right choice tonight. I guess the next few days will show that.

Two more days to get ready for the first IEP meeting of the year (one week until school starts.) If things are this bad without school, how are we going to make it through third grade?

No comments: